CAESAR Logo

Catalogue of Arcade Emulation Software - the Absolute Reference

Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

X-Arcade

X-Arcade

Large CAESAR Logo

War: The Final Assault

0.91u1 [Aaron Giles]


HardDisk required


WIP:

- 27th December 2005: Aaron Giles - War: The Final Assault used to work before I added support for the ethernet chip, but hasn't been working ever since. I hacked in some code to disable the chip and sure enough, it will work without it, but I know that the board has it hooked up so I can't hack around it like that. It boots through about halfway and then just stops. It sends 3 packets out on the wire, but they are all broadcast packets and since there's nobody listening, there are no responses, nor would I expect there to be. Maybe I'll try to trace what's going on in both cases and compare the two, though tracefiles from a 250MHz RISC chip are somewhat unwieldy to scan through. On the plus side, the graphics problems from my old Voodoo emulation are gone and the game looks great when it does run.

- 0.102u5: Added 'Unknown xxxx' dipswitches.

- 19th April 2004: Aaron Giles - I've also spent a little time trying to get my preliminary Vegas driver back up and running. At the moment, I have Gauntlet Legends and Gauntlet: Dark Legacy up and running with sound, but they both die a terrible death when actual gameplay is encountered (either in attract mode or in the actual game). War: The Final Assault is in the same category. One thing I've discovered recently is that the CPU emulation is still the big bottleneck, even moreso than the Voodoo emulation. When the heavy-duty floating point calculations kick in, the current dynamic recompiler is pretty inefficient. I'm starting to think about bumping the compiler to a two-pass system in order to provide an optimization pass that could help out the code quality immensely.

- 12th December 2003: Aaron Giles - Gauntlet: Dark Legacy and War: Final Assault work with the new ADSP-2104-based DCS sound core, the others fall over at the moment unless I help them along.


Romset: 544 kb / 3 files / 252.05 zip

Harddisk: 3074.9 MB (Heads: 15, Cylinders: 6664, Sectors: 63 - Compressed: 845.4)